
So, one of Mama Kat's prompts this week really stood out to me - What are you currently fascinated with? Now, I'm going to take some creative liberties with this and really tell you all what I am and have been fascinated with. Yes, I know you are thinking, "Who cares what she's fascinated with? It's probably shoes, or American Idol, or Brad Pitt. Blah!" Nope, not me....I'm simply not your average girl and I admit this is a bit odd, but I have a weird fascination with prisons and serial killers. Let me declare that I do not aspire to visit prison or become a killer I just am amazed by the psyche of the brain to allow someone to become that type of individual....fascinating!
So prisons, I don't know what it is about them, I even shriek with glee when I drive by one - the tall guarded walls, the bad outfits, the terrible food, or the threat of a shanking or beating with a pillow case full of soap at any minute, but it all just intrigues me. Truthfully I blame MSNBC and their constant running of the show "Lock-Up". I accidentally tuned in one day and I haven't been the same since. I love how they go behind the scenes and get into the dynamics of how the prison runs - from the gangs, and hierarchy class system, to whose someones bitch - truly unbelievable. I think it keeps me so interested because it's the whole concept of putting a bunch of criminals and crazies together in the same building. What do you think is going to happen with that combination? Not the brightest of ideas, but damn it makes for some interesting TV.
Serial killers on the other hand are at least smarter. They think it out, plot and plan their attacks. Charles Manson is quite possibly the scariest man I have ever seen (on TV not in person - yikes!) with those giant eyes and creepy stares, but what he was able to do with the "Manson Family" and the whole Tate/LaBianca murders is insane. Crazy to think of someone able to hold that sort of control and power over someone to simply tell them to go out and kill people and have them do it. Especially someone so CRAZY looking! As much as it would scare the crap out of me - I would so love to sit down with him (with a large plexiglass wall between us and him in handcuffs with an armed guard) to pick his brain as to how it works and how he was able to do what he did. See part of me wanted to go into psychology and that part is fascinated by serial killers abilities. OK, so my cards are on the table. I admit - prisons and serial killers just capture me. As weird as it is - it's me. What fascinates you that's out of the norm? Come on - it's only fair for you to share now. I'm off to go watching Investigation Discovery and catch up on my prison shows....yeah!

8 comments:
I have to admit I am slightly facinated by that kind of thing as well. well actually CSI i love. it shows alot about why poeple do things. psychology has always fascinated me as well
Don't feel bad sis, it's runs in the family as you know my fascination with airplane accidents -- about as morbid as prisons and serial killers!
Off to the beach till Tuesday...catch ya later gator!
P.S. I know this may not work and might be crazy, but I'm having my housewarming party next Friday when mom and Mike are here...I realize it's a 4 hour drive, BUT if you and Kyle and G-man could come it would be fun...drive up Friday and head home Saturday...just a thought...plus it would be kinda fun to surprise mom?
Stopping in from Mama Kats. I am fascinated by this stuff too! If you ever wanna read a good book it's called The Sleeping Doll by Jeffery Deaver, it's a novel about the life of a serial killer! :) sooo good.
xoxox
I am fascinated by drug addiction. Not that I want to be addicted but rather the mind behind the addicted person. The how's and why's. I blame A&E and the show Intervention.
I like watching the shows about the prison gangs work. It is just amazing how these people who have murdered and what-not set up their own rules and punishments within the system.
I completely know how you feel! Not only am I obsessed with crime fiction shows (L&O, Cold Case, Medium, etc - I could seriously watch those shows constantly but it freaks my husband out...) but I have an unhealthy obsession with stories of real life serial killers. The only book I can remember on the top of my head is Zodiac, but there was another profiling ten different murders (something to do with Dangerous Men, I think was the title?) and another about the Green River Killer (that guy's a little close to home to me).
My favorite unusual interest though is in cult leaders - for the same reasons you laid out. It really shows how your mind is your most powerful weapon... scary.
Have you seen the website with serial killer murder scene photos? I couldn't help but look and then I couldn't sleep right for a week.
Ashley made me look at the pictures she spoke of in her comment, and I was so paranoid and kept making sure my door was locked, lol.
Post a Comment